Share:
 
  Richmond Union Cricket Club - Est 1967

History
Richmond Union Cricket Club was formed in 1967, as a result of an amalgamation of the former Richmond Districts and Richmond City Cricket Clubs. Richmond Districts first premiership was in 1924/25 Season. The 2 Clubs merged and fielded 1st and 2nd XIs in the Senior Division of the Victorian Junior Cricket Association (now VTCA) to meet the requirement that all clubs in the competition must field 2 senior Elevens. Both Clubs were amongst the oldest affiliated with the VJCA and were also members when this association was formed in 1903.

1986 saw a further amalgamation, with Richmond St Stanislaus (commonly known as the Aruntas) joining Richmond Union. This was the catalyst for the introduction of a 3rd XI on matting in the Easter Suburban Churches CA. 1986 also saw the first Junior team represent the Club which now grown to 10 + Junior teams. 

Up until 1994, the Clubrooms were located in an annex of the Citizens Park Child Care centre. The primitive conditions were something that all past players and supporters will never forget. In 1994, the Club relocated to the new “Jack Dwyer Pavilion” named after the famous Richmond Footballer on the corner of Highett Street and Gleadell street. 

1999 saw the Club move all its teams to the Eastern Cricket Association, where it still plays today.

In 2005/06 the Club was playing in two cricket associations, The Eastern Cricket Association and The Mercantile Cricket Association (Turf only, since discontinued).

Over the years the Club has had to play Home games far and wide (Kew, Hawthorn, Fawkner Park, Royal Park, Heathmont, The Basin, Latrobe) just to cater for all those wishing to play at Richmond Union.

 

In February 2018, the club held it's 50 year anniversary at the Carlton Brewhouse in Abbotsford. Many players attended from the earliest days to current players, including nearly the entire team that won 1st eleven premiership in 2003/2004. It was a happy and memorable night.

 

During the 2019/20 season Citizens Park oval was stripped back and a new surface was relaid on the cricket pitch and oval. For a number of years there'd been drainage problems on the oval. This season the 1st eleven played A-Synthetic cricket at Onley oval. 

 

In November 2020, the club fielded it's first Senior Women's side and in December that year they had their first victory, in a year of great difficulty for everybody!


Currently the Club is fielding 5 Senior men's teams, an Senior Women's an over 60's team on Sundays, 21 + Junior teams, including 3 girls teams, as well as conducting the Woolworths Junior/Master Blaster Cricket programs.
.